Pages

Friday, July 12, 2013

Data on the Brain! *FREEBIE*



Good morning everyone! I don't know about you, but I'm already having my "teacher" dreams. You know the ones, it's open house or the first day of school and you feel lost. Still have a month of summer left, but that doesn't mean my mind isn't prepping for it already.


One of the things I've been thinking a lot about is data. We recently had a meeting at school with the Leadership Team analyzing our FCAT scores from this year. It made me start thinking about the ways I collect data in my classroom, and how to keep it organized and useful.

An expectation at my school is that we DRA our students once per quarter. Well, in upper grades there isn't much change in DRA levels. They {should} start the year at a 50 fiction and end the year at a 50 nonfiction. So, in addition to quarterly DRAs, I plan on using the assessments provided by the Teachers College Reading & Writing Project that aligns with the Fountas & Pinnell system for leveling books. Check out their site for more info and download the assessments for your classroom! These assessments are used with text in hand. TCRWP provides a list of texts you'll need, or you can use the typed text that is included in the download.

I'm going to use the form above as a way to organize my kiddos' reading levels by DRA as well as Guided Reading level. I've color coded the GR levels by DRA level. For example, the green boxes are a DRA 50, where my kiddos should be during the year. There is a correlation chart on page 2 of the attachment when you download. In addition, I've included {for 5th grade} the CCSS lexile ranges for the band of complexity they are expected to master. The form is editable for your convenience to tweak to your grade's expectations.

What are some ways you collect reading data in your classroom?


0 comments:

Post a Comment