Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012

It's a Small, Small world

This morning I'm going about my usual routine, checking my box before picking up the kiddos. Leafing through the papers, I notice something that's a little off. There's a strange envelope- strange because it's not from any school supply wholesaler or a note from the secretary. It's a real letter, addressed to Ms. McDonald's Class...in handwriting!


I open it up and squeal when I realize what's inside! A letter from a squadron in the middle east! At Christmas every year, my class writes letters to soldiers telling them how much they appreciate the soldiers dedicating their lives to our country. This year my kiddos got more into it than ever before. Many of the letters were heartfelt, sending messages of hope, thankfulness, and empathy. This is the first time I've ever received a response from these letters- and it really brought a tear to my eye sharing this with my kiddos.

When we were talking about our response from the soldiers, there was this little voice saying "I know that symbol. I know that symbol." As soon as I got home, I went online and looked up the squadron. Lo and behold, it's a squadron from my hometown that my dad worked with in his many years of service alongside the Marines! I could barely believe the coincidence as I now live states away, and here I am receiving a letter from people back home who are overseas serving our country! What an incredible feeling!

Thank you service men and women who dedicate your lives to serving and protecting. You are appreciated!


0 comments:

Post a Comment